Tuesday, March 25, 2008

What have I gotten myself into?

Tonight I went to Toastmasters. I had taken a life-coaching class late last year and somebody suggested to me that Toastmasters would be a good way for me to improve my confidence with speaking. You see, I sometimes get tongue-tied when I talk to people, (mostly people that I feel are... more educated than I or people that have authority over me).

I have no problems speaking, hosting and bantering at our holiday Christmas party at work which I help to plan (a few drinks always helps), however, I would like to be able to have confidence and speak with clarity and purpose to others (not just my co-workers).

So, I joined Toastmasters in the hope of achieving my goals and dreams of "public speaking". The Toastmasters I joined is a very warm and inviting group of people. Looks like them come from all walks of life and I am hoping I can blend in. Tonight they had three speeches. They were very good. They had a speech that was done as an interview with two people. One person was the interviewer and asked questions of the others. Long story short, they ended with a town meeting type venue where they were asking who would like to be "board members" in July. They needed a President, VP, VP Education, VP Education, Secretary, Treasurer, and a Sgt of Arms (that person was continuing in that position).

I sat there thinking "oh... this is my third meeting....do I want to get this involved?" I listened to them explain the duties of various positions and I had my eye on one but I didn't speak up in time so somebody took that one. Then I saw the secretary position and thought "hmmm, I could do that". Before my lunch lady days, I was a secretary for 14 years so I am sure I could take some minutes of the meeting. But did I really want to make this kind of commitment to something fairly new to me?

Well, once I raised my hand, I knew it was all over. Of course, now I will be the proud new "Secretary" of the Toastmaster's club in July. Good Lord! What have I done.

One of the people who was involved in the Interview speech said something about "Giving", Giving back. Getting involved in something that is worthwhile. That is what helped me raised my hand. I believe that you have to give to get back. And what a great way to do it. Volunteer my time at a club that is meaningful, has a great purpose, a great track record, and will help (hopefully) me immensely in my goal of being a confident speaker. It also helps with the commitment part. If your secretary, you have to be there. You can't just sit there every meeting not participate. So I figure being the secretary will speed along my process of getting involved.

So, I am looking forward to my new adventures at Toastmasters. I am sure you will get to read about some of them. Next week, I am the "WORD MASTER". I have to choose a word, explain the meaning and keep track of who all uses it. (the goal is for people to use the word in their speeches or whenever they address the toastmasters.)
My mind is already buzzing about what word I would like to use. Nothing like jumping right in, head first into the unknown. Should be fun.

I got an invitation to another Chapter meeting next week. I am going! I'll pass along my request for story letter. Hopefully it will generate some more stories.

All is well.....

No comments: