Sunday, March 2, 2008

Pennies from Heaven?

Been a while since I have posted. I have been trying to catch up with so many things. I am involved with contract negotiations between our school food service staff and the school district. We have a 'Good faith" type contract. We are not involved in a union. Most of all the other groups in the school district employees are unionized at this point. I certainly don't want to pay union dues but contract negotiations are hard when you don't know much about the whole process. We have been trying to get some other schools contracts but since most are now union, they don't want to give up the information as to wages, etc. In the past our process has been to get a committee together, talk about what changes we would like in our contract, what type of salary increases we would like, etc. Then we give our list to the school board's committee, then they come back and tell us what we are getting. That is pretty much how it goes. Not much negotiating going on. We put a lot of time and energy into meeting and discussing. Maybe this time it will be worthwhile for us. Wish us luck!!

One of my staff is still out with her broken wrist. She is so anxious to come back and we are so anxious to have her back. I have had many substitutes at this point. Twice, even the substitute covering for the staff was sick. So, we had a sub for the sub. Good Lord! All the subs have been great and we have been very lucky to have them. However, get well soon staff! We will take you one armed and all.

Did you see the story on the news about the school in NJ (a middle school)the students started paying for their lunches in pennies? It was on the news today so I went online to the TV station website and checked out the article. The article says it started out as a prank, but then everyone started saying they were protesting against how short their lunch time was. You can read the article at: http://cbs3.com/watercooler/pennies.readington.township.2.666461.html The news report on TV said that the students never raised concerns about the shortened lunch before. Why did they think the lunch ladies had any control of how much time they get for lunch? I guarantee they don't. The article also said that the "lunch ladies are not authorized to put in their TWO CENTS (ha ha for the pun)but they said they felt disrespected. HELLO?? I guess so! I don't even like when I get 5 pennies much less 200 per student. Counting all those pennies in line must have slowed the line tremendously. And, I would have counted every single penny! I mean every one.
S--l--o--w--l--y.

One of the parents interviewed said the detention their kid got was unfair. 29 students got two day detentions. 29 x 200 pennies = 5,800 pennies (the article did the math, not me). Beleive me, it was more than fair!
One of the parents actually did say that her son who bought in pennies would have to face the consequences and that "the detention will send a message to him that what you're going to do effects other people". GOOD FOR HER! The news report showed the lunch ladies with their aprons leaving the school. They were probably told not to comment. That would have killed me. I would have loved to give MY TWO CENTS (sorry for the pun again) on camera!

I am wondering if this will start some kind of chain reaction. I can just see us lunch ladies now, getting all those pennies. I hope not!

Just goes to show what we put up with, daily. We seem to get the brunt of everybody's unresolved issues about somthing. Yeah, I know I am whining now, sorry. But it feels justified.

I know it is a great story for my book. I plan on contacting those lunch ladies at the Readington Middle School. I hope they will talk to me.

I have been sending out my "Story Request Letter" to a few schools in some school districts around PA. I am trying to do 25 per weekend. I am sending them to NJ schools today. I got one story so far. I am so thankful for that and for that nice person who took the time to contact me with her wonderful story. Thank YOU!

I also joined Toastmasters. I think it will be a great experience for me. I can't wait to get started. I think the public speaking with help me immensly with my book marketing.

Just a few more weeks to spring break for us. My son is coming home next weekend. We can't wait to see him. He'll be home for a week. We are really looking forward to it. I better start stocking up food and juice now!

Till next time. All is well........

No comments: