Sunday, March 9, 2008

Come Hell or Highwater!

My son came home for spring break. We are always so happy to have him back. He was coming home with two riders (two very nice young ladies who's parents come to our house to take them home). We always ask him to call us when he leaves Ithaca, NY. The weather was concerning since it was very, very rainy and in Ithaca it was saying afternoon ice. He called us around 10:00 am on Saturday and said he was leaving. Around 11:00 he calls and I can hear in his voice something is wrong. He asks for his father. I gave the phone to my husband, feeling that sinking feeling you get when you know something is wrong. I didn't even ask my son what was wrong, I just handed the phone to my husband, scared to death, the pit in your stomach aching, making you want to throw up.

Turns out he is fine, but his Pathfinder died. Died right there on Route 81 about 2 3/4 to 3 hours away from us. It's hard to think straight when your mind is racing about how to help your child. I immediately knew we were going to get him so while they were on the phone I am yelling instructions to my husband and asking information like where is he, while mile sign, what town. My son knew that he had just came off Rt 17 and just got on Rt 82 and Bingington was where they thought they were.

We get as much information as we can and I pack some water, fruit, sodas, our GPS, and off we go. We have Triple A, but how much help would they be? Should we call them first and wait to see what happens? We decided to head out first since we didn't want to waste time in case they couldn't get it started. My husband figured that my son had gone through puddles of water that might have stalled out the SUV. He thought that after it dried out some, it might start, but we had no way of knowing if that would happen.

Now I am talking really rainy, foggy, miserable weather for anyone to drive much less me when I am worried. I had my day already planned. I thought I would make something for my son to eat when he got home and then I had a party to go to around 6:00. I was just going to hang around and do some cleaning until my son got home.

On the way to get our son we called Triple A and had them go get my son and his two riders and get them off the highway and to a safe place. The three of them seemed in good spirits so we were glad they were doing ok. Thank goodness for cell phones and how the heck did we get along without them? When we got to the end of the turnpike we pulled over and called our son and he gave us the name of the place where they were. Also thank goodness for the GPS. I honestly don't know how we would have found them without it.

They had taken the SUV to a Firestone Store. They were just checking it out when we got there. Turns out the Alternator died which in turn, killed the battery. They said they could fix it and it would take about 2-3 hours to get the parts and get it running. We had to make a decision as to whether I should get going and take the girls to our house or whether we should all wait for it to be fixed just in case there were problems of another nature on the way home. We decided to wait so we could all go home together. I was very worried about the girls. I was also worried about their parents. I knew they were in constant touch with their parents and I was wondering how upset they were. We felt really responsible for them and I knew it would be late when we got home, plus I was probably going to miss the 50th birthday party that I was looking forward to.

We went to get something to eat and got back around 5:00. Turns out they were just finishing up and the SUV was ready to go. I am very grateful for that Firestone Store, they were very nice and got us on our way in record time. So, off we went. The girls with me and husband and son in the newly fixed SUV. It was fun being with the "girls". I don't get to spend much time with 18-19 year old girls. I learned a lot. We got home around 7:00. The parents were so nice about everything. Even paid my son for gas (which we tried to refuse but they wouldn't hear of it) AND bought us some of the yummiest pastries I have every seen. Such nice people.

AND, I WAS AT MY PARTY AT 9:20. Come hell or high water (and we had lots of high water, it was flooded here and many of the roads were blocked off)I was going to my party. A quick shower, change of clothes and out the door I went. I think I am quite a trooper! One of the last things one of the girls said as they left was "are you going to your party". And I wasn't sure at that moment. But then I thought, I would be disappointed is I didn't even try to go. So, I went to my party. Good for me! And I had a good time.

I think I am actually glad the weekend if over. It was too busy. I need a vacation from my weekend.

And, guess what. I am off Wednesday. Teacher in-service day. Hooray! Gotta love this job.

Ahhh, All is well.

No comments: