Monday, February 18, 2008

An Unexpected Story on a day off

Our school district had a teacher in-service day on Friday and Monday is President's day so we have a 4-day weekend. It was my mother's birthday on Saturday so I had her come stay the night with us. We were having a birthday dinner for her on Sunday. My mother had four children so we about 15-21 for a birthday dinner depending on who's working or who can't come. My son is at college in NY so he couldn't make it and my niece worked too. My nephew was away at the mountains with his grandparents, so he was not here either. It was a good time and the food came out pretty well. Now, back to the unexpected story.

My brother and sister-in-law came (there son was at the mountains) and she said she wanted to ask me something. She said my nephew got a ISS (in-school suspension). I said "oh no, what happened", however since she wanted to tell me, I knew it had to have something to do with lunch time or lunch ladies. They do not live in my school district.

She tells me that my nephew was going through the lunch line and he "flicked a french fry at his friend, but it missed and hit the lunch lady". Hmmm. Of course I had been celebrating my mom's birthday with a margarita (or two) so I wasn't thinking as clearly or as quickly as I wish I would have been. (Hey, I am the oldest of us four kids so I deserve to celebrate (being the oldest and having all the "first of four children - birth order issues.") Anyway, my sister-in-law said it was an accident, which I truly believe. She said that the lunch lady was very, very upset. However, my being a lunch lady puts me in an ackward position. I said "in-school suspension does seem a bit harsh, I too would have been upset since he was fooling around in line, which he shouldn't be doing". I am not sure if I would have sent him to the principal or not. It probably would have depended on the kid, and his attitude at the time it happened. I certainly would have wanted a written apology which my sister-in-law said he did. I am pretty sure that I would have been upset if the child got an in-school suspension.

I told her that their lunch ladies are probably serving hundreds of kids in just a few minutes so there should be no fooling around. I admit I still think of my cute, blond haired, youngest of the grandkids as being the "littlest one". Later I remember he is in Jr. High. The stakes are much higher in Junior High. Once when I was working in our Jr. High there was a "food fight" and it was an experience I will never forget(got to remember that story for my book). The food fight erupted in the cafeteria (not in a lunch line) and food was flying everywhere. The teachers were running for cover, my boss at the time shut all our doors so no one could get in. Every wall had to be wiped down and cleaned. It was unbelievable. All the extra work! And it was scarey! Kids screaming and running around. So I imagine that there is probably a "No Tolerance" policy for such things that could possibly escalate in their school. And with my experience, I have to agree. Sorry my wonderful nephew. I love ya lots, but....... be good in the lunch line and cafeteria.

Thinking about the situation today, I wish I had asked more questions (this is where the margaritas came in). Where was he and how far did the french fry sail in order to hit the lunch lady? Did it maime her? How fast was the french fry going? What rate of speed? What was his immediate reaction to what happened? Has he had other issues in the lunch line? Does the lunch lady have any say in the punishment? How mad was she, I mean, spittin' nails mad or red in the face embarrased mad? I bet she was very embarrased. I think that the times when I got the maddest or had the most reaction when my son did something or when I got mad at work is when it embarrased me, or reflected badly on my parenting skills or lunch lady skills. I would recommend when things simmer down, my nephew should do something nice like, say he is sorry again to the lunch lady, and I mean look her in the eye and mean it. Let her see the impact it had on him. Tell her to have a nice day or smile at her. I have a few students that tell me that every day or always have a smile. They say please and thank you. It makes a big difference when you deal with them as opposed to another child that never looks at you and doesn't seem to care about you. And I am not saying my nephew is like that. He has always treated me with respect, but any child can take a lessen from this experience. Don't you sometimes go to the clerk's line in the grocery store where you know the clerk is efficent and nice? Don't you respect when you get an apology or someone owns up to a mistake for something they did or said that was either unapporpriate or uncalled for? And yes, when I see my nephew at Easter (we are celebrating his birthday) I will try and get some details (and thank him for a story for my book).

My story request letter is out at many of the schools since I have been passing it around at the Chapter meetings. Wouldn't it be the funniest thing if I get a story from a lunch lady with a story about "being hit by a sailing french fry?" That would really make my day (and my book)!

Back to work tomorrow, then two weeks with no day off. Bummer!!

Ahhhhhh, All is well.

No comments: