Monday, April 14, 2008

Family Ties

My brother-in-law, sister-in-law and their children were in for a visit from Colorado. We were having dinner with them and my neice (not their daughter) is going to college studying to be a teacher. She asked me if I thought my school district would hire her. I replied, "I would think so". She got very excited and asked me "would you give me a free lunch?". I told her "well, I don't know about that but I sell a lot of lunches to the teachers, and I am sure you would enjoy eating lunch with us". My sister in-law replied to my neice "would you really want to eat a school lunch?". Now, she said it with disgust in her voice. Like eating a school lunch would be like eating dirt, or worse than dirt. HELLO???? did she not know that would hurt my feelings???? I looked at her and picked up some bugles (yes, those crunchy little cracker type snacks) and threw them at her. HER daughter in the meantime had made a face that said "YUCK! you would eat a school lunch?" Her mom (my sister-in-law) tried to back-pedal and say "oh, in our district all they get is burritos and mexican food". But she had made her point.

Sometimes I get very weary and tired of defending school lunches. Every where you go somebody is usually making a negative comment about it. My husband has made comments, my brother-in-law also has made comments. These people are family. Shouldn't they be supporting you no matter what you do for a living. How are we supposed to hold our head up high and be proud of what we do when their is such negativity about it. Hmmm. Just makes the point of my book more valid.

Do other jobs like trashmen, janitors, waitresses, meter maids, and other professions of these kinds have to defend what they do all the time. I bet they do.

I do take pride in what I do. I wouldn't serve any child anything that I wouldn't eat or would serve to my own child. Why do I let these comments bother me... Hmm..
I will have to think about that.

In the book I am reading which is "A New Earth" by Eckert Tolle (Oprahs book she has the online course for) says that "the ego gets in the way". So true, when I hear a comment like that, my ego certainly gets in the way. The book wants you to take the ego out of your reactions. Very hard to do. One of my tapes says about life "watch with curiosity". That is what I am practicing. Not to judge, not to react, just "watch with curiosity" all that happens around me. Watch with no attachment to it. Very hard to do.

Anyway, I guess that is all I want to say about that. (Didn't Forest Gump say that?)

We have a day off on Wednesday this week. Just in time, just what the doctor ordered. Yeah!

All is well.....

No comments: